Who woulda thunk that corn could taste so irresistable? This is great because it’s much more moist and sweet than your average cornbread. Cut slices and freeze em in ziplock baggies for snacks when you need it. That is, if you don’t eat it all from the pan when the bread is hot!
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
5 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, slightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease bread loaf pan. You can also use a 8 inch pan but then it’s not nearly as cute.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. If you have a sifter, you should use that too.
3. Form a well in the mixture and add the milk, oil, and egg. Stir just until everything is combined – there should still be very small scattered clumps of flour.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 24 to 30 minutes, until the cornbread is starting to brown slightly (especially at the edges) and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Pile on the butter and sigh with glee!